I want to separate from my partner. Where do I start?

A little bit of preparation in this can save you lots of headache down the track. Come and see us for a confidential no-obligation chat so we can help you prepare for your separation. In the meantime, here are some tips:

  1. Photocopy all of yours and your ex-partner’s financial documents and put them in a secure location (not in your home or motor vehicle).
  2. Make a list of all the household contents (or even better, take photos).
  3. Contact your bank or financial institution in writing to stop joint funds being removed or liabilities increased.
  4. If you have a Power of Attorney, ensure it is revoked, and have a new one drafted.
  5. Consider whether your nominated death beneficiary for your superannuation entitlements is appropriate.
  6. Look at your Will and consider if it is still what is appropriate and if you do not have a Will have one drafted.
  7. If you have children, contact the Child Support Agency and find out how much is to be paid or is payable.
  8. Do title searches on your properties. If your home is not in your name or is in joint names, ensure you place caveats over the properties.
  9. If there has been family violence in the relationship you may need to seek an Intervention Order.
  10. Start a diary which keeps track of the time your partner has with the children and any adverse behaviour he/she displays.

Give us a call now on (08) 7001 6135 to speak directly with a family lawyer in Adelaide.

How Can We Help?

FREE first appointment

Book us in for a coffee and a chat

Book a FREE Consultation

Get in touch

And don’t worry, we won’t charge you

CALL 24/7 - 08 7001 6135


Free Advice you can read right here

Read More