A little bit of preparation in this can save you lots of headache down the track. Come and see us for a confidential no obligation chat so we can help you prepare for your separation. In the meantime, here are some tips:
- Photocopy all of yours and your ex partner’s financial documents and put them in a secure location (not in your home or motor vehicle).
- Make a list of all the household contents (or even better, take photos).
- Contact your bank or financial institution in writing to stop joint funds being removed or liabilities increased.
- If you have a Power of Attorney, ensure it is revoked, and have a new one drafted.
- Consider whether your nominated death beneficiary for your superannuation entitlements is appropriate.
- Look at your Will and consider if it is still what is appropriate and if you do not have a Will have one drafted.
- If you have children, contact the Child Support Agency and find out how much is to be paid or is payable.
- Do title searches on your properties. If your home is not in your name or is in joint names, ensure you place caveats over the properties.
- If there has been family violence in the relationship you may need to seek an Intervention Order.
- Start a diary which keeps track of time your partner has with the children and any adverse behaviour he/she displays.
Give us a call now on 08 7132 5636 to speak directly with a family lawyer in Adelaide.